The new movie A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood hits theaters Friday November 22, 2019 (the Friday before Thanksgiving). This is a must see movie for everyone that is high school age and beyond. Why you say? Because we need to be reminded what it is like to live in a world that is kind and respectful. The culture we live in today needs a fresh dose of kindness and I believe Mister Rogers delivers that message with precision in this movie.
Fred Rogers was one of the most influential Christians of the 20th century. He conveyed Gospel principles to millions, using stories instead of sermons.
In the film, Fred’s love for Jesus is made self-evident through his ability to see the inner child in everyone. He makes his friend Lloyd feel known and heard. He sees and accepts Lloyd as a child of God.
As Mark 12:31 says, “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
(The Holy Bible, NIV) In today’s world, we all need to be reminded of the power of love and the importance of saying, “Won’t you be my neighbor?”
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Here are a few suggestions on how to demonstrate kindness from the Beautiful Day website:
- Write a thank you note to the people in your life who have loved you into being.
- Complete random acts of kindness in your community. Possible ideas: leave encouraging notes for others to find, post a positive review for a company, befriend someone new.
- Offer someone a genuine compliment today.
- Volunteer with a local nonprofit and give back to your neighborhood.
- Coordinate a donation bin for people in need.
- Check your road rage at the car door and practice being neighborly on the road.
- Visit with the elderly at a nearby retirement home.
- Participate in a neighborhood clean-up to inspire others to care for the environment.
- Is someone moving into your neighborhood? Greet them with a knock on the door and perhaps a small housewarming gift.
- Make an anonymous donation to a charity of your choice.
- Host a neighborhood gathering (like a dinner party) to bless your immediate community.
It’s a beautiful day to be kind! Let’s put the fruit of the spirit into practice everyday and not just during the holidays.
Thanks for your time.
Dave Almgren – Faith and Family Films
Here is the official synopsis from the Sony / Affirm Web site.
Tom Hanks portrays Mister Rogers in A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, a timely story of kindness triumphing over cynicism, based on the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers and journalist Tom Junod. After a jaded magazine writer (Emmy winner Matthew Rhys) is assigned a profile of Fred Rogers, he overcomes his skepticism, learning about kindness, love and forgiven
Check out the official trailer for the movie;
Here is the Heart of the Story video for some back story on the film;
Here are some resources you can use to bring the message of neighborly love to your church and community! http://resources.abeautifulday.movie/